Thursday, May 18, 2006

Mandolin Mayhem


Playing "The Rakes of Mallow" badly for Takhamir
and guests. Photo: Mark Fojas

I've been practicing the mandolin for over two and a half years now. And, I've almost worked myself up to beginner's level.

I started at it as a vehicle to learn how music works. It's amazing how much simpler it is to play if you don't worry about things like rhythm, being in tune, fretting the notes correctlly and picking the right string.

As I began playing in public, and witnessing the ensuing mayhem, I learned a very important principle - encouragement. Playing the mandolin badly is like a litmus test for encouragement. Some people even turn red. Others turn blue. And I dont even know how to play the blues.

Should i put a signature or "the end" or something to show that this post is over?

5 Comments:

Blogger Roya said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 5:47:00 AM  
Blogger Roya said...

Hmm...signature lines aren't required. Good luck with the mandolin.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 5:48:00 AM  
Blogger leila said...

behi, you are incredibly wonderful.

your humour gives me my afternoon smile THIS big.

and hurrah for the second post!

love from leila

Thursday, May 18, 2006 7:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Behi!! don't stop. this is a perfect outlet for your amazing wit and humour. You could post a daily joke here, and i seriously think people would end up checking everyday to have a laugh.

Friday, May 19, 2006 7:46:00 AM  
Blogger leila said...

THIRD POST?



hmmm? (expectant, raised eyebrows; folded arms and tapping foot.)

love from leila

Sunday, May 21, 2006 1:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home